Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for the discussion of anime parodies, abridged series and abridged MENTs.

Welcome to the ParodyOX Forums! The site is still new, so please bear with the bugs and any changes we implement!
Remember to read the forum rules so that you avoid trouble from the moderators. Thank you.
ChatBox

3 posters

(Possibly) Overrated and/or just plain bad Series

MovesLikeJagger
    MovesLikeJagger

I am a :
    • Fan

EXP : 11

(Possibly) Overrated and/or just plain bad Series Empty (Possibly) Overrated and/or just plain bad Series

Post by MovesLikeJagger Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:39 am

Which series do you think simply don't deserve all the fandom accolades they've received in recent years? Keep in mind that "overrated" doesn't necessarily mean the show isn't good, just that it doesn't deserve all the hype it actually got.

Here's a simple of mine:
    1. Oreimo- HUGELY overrated... I thought Kirino was a major B***h, and the fact that Kyosuke barely ever stood up to her like he should've turned me off even more. As I've said before, I can't stand tsunderes, and I hate when people try to justify that bullshit. I mean, seriously, if you knew a girl (for example, in school) who always got pissy at you and then later on 'apologized' or 'was nice', you'd either say she was a B***h or had serious mood swings! Would you really put up with that irl? Yet, in anime, it's "special." Suspect

But putting that aside for a second, I also hate how Kyosuke seemed to grovel at her feet for every stupid wish of hers, esp. when she thought she could "write her own anime." The anime producers rejected her the first time, and then Kyosuke goes back to the studio to try to persuade them. WHY??? I would've said, "f**k this! That spoiled B***h deserves to be knocked down a peg or 2 for a change. See how the real world works... Life doesn't revolve around you." The fact that she calls him "disgusting" or "perverted" so often is really irritating, too. Kyosuke would take a bullet for a girl who probably would never do the same for him! Or at least not in the first half of the series...

I guess I can admire his moral fortitude (putting aside his differences with someone for "the greater good"), but, honestly, I think he spoiled her. She got special treatment, and why? Just b/c she's his sis?? And the fighting between Kirino and Kuroneko was so goddamn retarded... YOU BOTH LOVE ANIME! Stop fighting.

2. Madoka Magica

Now, admittedly, I haven't seen the full series, so maybe I'm a bit biased and/or ignorant here. However, I gave it the full 3-episode or 4-episode treatment, and it still couldn't draw me in. Some might say, "Well, the show gets better later on", and that may be true, but, on the other hand, if a series can't get me excited by the fourth episode (esp. considering Madoka has only 12), that kind of seems like a good indication of how the series will progress, if you ask me.

But Madoka fanart and whatnot are all over Tumblr, to say the least. Rolling Eyes I mean, if you actually enjoyed the show, more power to you. However, the extreme amount of fanart and love some of the fans have for it is a bit much, I think. Tone it down...

Of course, I will grant them this: The show did have a lot of cute and beautiful Magical Girls. Most of them seemed pretty cool, too. But the story didn't reel me in. Plus, that whole acid-trip world that Mami introduced Madoka and Sayaka too was just too absurd for me!

3. True Tears

Granted, the story wasn't too bad, but shit like the ending really pissed me off. Evil or Very Mad .. I mean, the main character has not one but two cute, awesome girls who like him. And yet, he goes for that Hitomi B***h?? Why? If I recall correctly, the show doesn't even really have too many personal moments between the two of them to actually show why he would fall in love with her in the first place! But, somehow, he does fall in love with her anyway at the end of the show. Egads...

Even in the beginning of the show, there's this weird awkwardness between the protagonist and Hitomi, and it's implied that there's a bit of sexual tension. But from whence did this come from? The show just implies that, basically, there was alternate-universe bs going on before the first episode even started that we're supposed to 'pick up on.'

Really? What a poor excuse for exposition...
    JeremyMakesMahToast
    JeremyMakesMahToast

I am a :
    • Fan
    • Voice Actor/Actress

EXP : 53

(Possibly) Overrated and/or just plain bad Series Empty Re: (Possibly) Overrated and/or just plain bad Series

Post by JeremyMakesMahToast Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:51 am

XD god why don't you just go up to sydsnap and xcaliborg and just give them the finger
    Admin-sensei
    Admin-sensei
    Admin
    Admin

I am a :
    • Abridger
    • Voice Actor/Actress

EXP : 31

(Possibly) Overrated and/or just plain bad Series Empty Re: (Possibly) Overrated and/or just plain bad Series

Post by Admin-sensei Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:09 am

But... I liked Madoka... (Those people are right though, it does get a lot better later on). I'd say that if you're willing to, at least give the rest of it a shot. It's not a very long series and it's kind of unfair to judge a series without watching all of it.

I will say this though, Bleach is over-rated. Seriously. It just follows the "tried and true" formula for shounen where all they have to do to extend the story is just keep making the MC stronger, then introduce STRONGER ENEMIES so he just keeps getting stronger and it's all just to drag out the story more and increase profits. At any time they probably could have finished the story a long time ago, but they make too much money off of it to let it die.

(Note: I haven't seen all of Bleach, only 1 episode, clips and information my friends who watch it tell me.)
    JeremyMakesMahToast
    JeremyMakesMahToast

I am a :
    • Fan
    • Voice Actor/Actress

EXP : 53

Post by JeremyMakesMahToast Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:32 am

(Note: I haven't seen all of Bleach, only 1 episode, clips and information my friends who watch it tell me.)
    I used to watch it religiously, in spite of it being the typical formulaic story, it did have some good fights.

then i heard the ending was terrible and the main antagonist turns into a tree when he dies..i was just like f**k this im done
    MovesLikeJagger
    MovesLikeJagger

I am a :
    • Fan

EXP : 11

Post by MovesLikeJagger Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:38 am

JeremyMakesMahToast wrote:XD god why don't you just go up to sydsnap and xcaliborg and just give them the finger
    Laughing
    No, I shan't be doing that. I love them as abridgers and whatnot! They're both very talented and awesome. This is just one man's opinion. Wink Jordan and Sydney have a right to their opinions as well. I'm just throwing it out there, esp. to try to stir up more activity on the forums, lest they die. Neutral No "fingers" are needed. geek Besides, last I checked, Sydney wasn't crowned "queen of anime quality", was she? So while she has every right to enjoy and talk about Oreimo, it's not like her view of it is unquestionable. afro
    Admin-sensei wrote:But... I liked Madoka... (Those people are right though, it does get a lot better later on). I'd say that if you're willing to, at least give the rest of it a shot. It's not a very long series and it's kind of unfair to judge a series without watching all of it.
    )
    Perhaps... I kind of figured someone might respond that way, too, after I posted.

It just kind of rubs me the wrong way, this feeling that I had to/have to (or would have to in the future) sit through really slow and/or dull moments just to see the series pick up and actually become good. It's kind of like a big middle finger from the producers, really. Like, they're saying to you, "Haha, sucker! You decided to watch it, and now you must finish it, despite the first few eps kind of sucking." It's like with Final Fantasy 13. I've heard countless claims from folks who played it all the way through that, basically, you have to play the first 25 hours or so, and then it gets "really good." Or so I hear... I only played through the first 5 chapters or so.

However, one could ask, "Why not make the entire thing good the whole way through??" What about the concept of suspense? scratch

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 pm