Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for the discussion of anime parodies, abridged series and abridged MENTs.

Welcome to the ParodyOX Forums! The site is still new, so please bear with the bugs and any changes we implement!
Remember to read the forum rules so that you avoid trouble from the moderators. Thank you.
ChatBox

+3
Evil Fefe
JeremyMakesMahToast
MovesLikeJagger
7 posters

Dearth of good RPGs (esp. JRPG) on PS3?

MovesLikeJagger
    MovesLikeJagger

I am a :
    • Fan

EXP : 11

Dearth of good RPGs (esp. JRPG) on PS3? Empty Dearth of good RPGs (esp. JRPG) on PS3?

Post by MovesLikeJagger Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:31 pm

Sad With awesome series like Wild Arms, Suikoden and Star Ocean effectively dead now (and FF just getting worse and worse), what's a JRPG fan like me to do??? I've tried playing all the big JRPGs for PS3, and with the exception of a few, most of them seem to suck. The WRPGs - if you can truly call most of them that, rather than "Action/Adventure" or "sandbox"- don't offer me much promise, either.

Does anyone else feel my pain here? Crying or Very sad There were so many impressive RPGs for PS and PS2, but now... Is this the end of incredible traditional RPGs for "regular" (i.e. non-portable) consoles like PS3 as we know it? I mean, PS3 has been around for about half a decade in the West (esp. North America) right?? So it can't be for LACK OF TIME!

It seems the only place I could probably find good RPGs available for PS3 is Play Asia. But those are usually pretty damn pricy and in Japanese. Neutral Or is Gamefly's selection just really shitty in this dept.? Then again, I haven't seen a much better RPG selection at stores like Best Buy as of late...
    JeremyMakesMahToast
    JeremyMakesMahToast

I am a :
    • Fan
    • Voice Actor/Actress

EXP : 53

Dearth of good RPGs (esp. JRPG) on PS3? Empty Re: Dearth of good RPGs (esp. JRPG) on PS3?

Post by JeremyMakesMahToast Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:37 pm

I know what you mean, but Im still not finished with the RPGs I have on my emulators so I haven't felt the blow yet.

But I think what it comes down to is Game Developers seem to be focused on "Action RPGs" that focus on gameplay more than story, which is sad but I expect demand of a game that has a good story and feel like old RPGs so who knows if the elements of older RPGs wont resurface on the next generation of consoles
    Evil Fefe
    Evil Fefe

I am a :
    • Fan

EXP : 7

Dearth of good RPGs (esp. JRPG) on PS3? Empty Re: Dearth of good RPGs (esp. JRPG) on PS3?

Post by Evil Fefe Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:30 pm

Looking for RPG's on the PS3, Go try Disgaea 3 & 4 NOW!
    Neonie
    Neonie

I am a :
    • Fan
    • Voice Actor/Actress

EXP : 18

Post by Neonie Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:33 am

The Atelier series, the Agarest series, and up coming Mugen Souls all prove there is no such thing as "the death of the JRPG" on the PS3. If you really think that, you aren't looking hard enough, which you have to have some INCREDIBLE skill to not look hard enough in a realm where only about 3 publishers tread.
    JeremyMakesMahToast
    JeremyMakesMahToast

I am a :
    • Fan
    • Voice Actor/Actress

Post by JeremyMakesMahToast Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Wow Neonie I didn't even think your into RPG's
    NipponIchiHero
    NipponIchiHero

I am a :
    • Parodyist/other
    • Fan

EXP : 16

Post by NipponIchiHero Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:35 pm

I'm looking forward to Mugen Souls and The God and Fate Revolution Paradox. Not just because they're NIS games, it's because they look really interesting and I'm happy to see their release. There are still quite a few good JRPGS out there. Except, I understand why you would think this...

Dearth of good RPGs (esp. JRPG) on PS3? Final_Fantasy_XIII-2_Game_Cover
    Dearth of good RPGs (esp. JRPG) on PS3? Tumblr_m60ou96dZr1ro16tz
    JeremyMakesMahToast
    JeremyMakesMahToast

I am a :
    • Fan
    • Voice Actor/Actress

Post by JeremyMakesMahToast Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:38 pm

Dearth of good RPGs (esp. JRPG) on PS3? How-dare-you
    NipponIchiHero
    NipponIchiHero

I am a :
    • Parodyist/other
    • Fan

Post by NipponIchiHero Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:40 pm

JeremyMakesMahToast wrote:Dearth of good RPGs (esp. JRPG) on PS3? Final_Fantasy_XIII-2_Game_Cover
    Dearth of good RPGs (esp. JRPG) on PS3? How-dare-you
    Dearth of good RPGs (esp. JRPG) on PS3? Tumblr_lg55i0i6g81qenlpeo1_500
    JeremyMakesMahToast
    JeremyMakesMahToast

I am a :
    • Fan
    • Voice Actor/Actress

Post by JeremyMakesMahToast Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:53 pm

Dearth of good RPGs (esp. JRPG) on PS3? Tumblr_m9y946h2BC1r8165j
    NipponIchiHero
    NipponIchiHero

I am a :
    • Parodyist/other
    • Fan

Post by NipponIchiHero Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:57 pm

JeremyMakesMahToast wrote:Dearth of good RPGs (esp. JRPG) on PS3? Tumblr_m9y946h2BC1r8165j
    Dearth of good RPGs (esp. JRPG) on PS3? Let-me-love-you1
    Evil Fefe
    Evil Fefe

I am a :
    • Fan

EXP : 7

Post by Evil Fefe Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:58 pm

NipponIchiHero wrote:I'm looking forward to Mugen Souls and The God and Fate Revolution Paradox. Not just because they're NIS games, it's because they look really interesting and I'm happy to see their release. There are still quite a few good JRPGS out there. Except, I understand why you would think this...

Jon Tron may dislike Final Hallway 13 but I sure as hell enjoyed it
    JeremyMakesMahToast
    JeremyMakesMahToast

I am a :
    • Fan
    • Voice Actor/Actress

Post by JeremyMakesMahToast Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:19 pm

Evil Fefe wrote:
    NipponIchiHero wrote:I'm looking forward to Mugen Souls and The God and Fate Revolution Paradox. Not just because they're NIS games, it's because they look really interesting and I'm happy to see their release. There are still quite a few good JRPGS out there. Except, I understand why you would think this...

Jon Tron may dislike Final Hallway 13 but I sure as hell enjoyed it
    I didn't even play, I watched my friend play his copy.
    MovesLikeJagger
    MovesLikeJagger

I am a :
    • Fan

Post by MovesLikeJagger Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:15 am

Neonie wrote:The Atelier series, the Agarest series, and up coming Mugen Souls all prove there is no such thing as "the death of the JRPG" on the PS3. If you really think that, you aren't looking hard enough, which you have to have some INCREDIBLE skill to not look hard enough in a realm where only about 3 publishers tread.
    Atelier is the one with all the potions and mixing, right? Yeah... I couldn't really get into those games, if I recall. Neutral

Same with Agarest, I think... I hated shit like Blazblue and Neptunia, as well. And esp. Nier... I tried Disgaea for a few hours, but they just weren't my thing. Mad The battle system alone was just god-awful!

Cross Edge was OK, I guess, although I never really finished playing it, tbh. After a few nights, I think I was at the point where the game's 'fun' level just didn't justify spending several nights more on it. Tales of Graces f was good, though! Wink I of course also enjoyed P4.

As for Mugen Souls... I guess I'll put that in my Gamefly Q for good measure. We'll see. Smile

I guess I'm just too much of a 'traditionalist' when it comes to RPGs, tbh. Perhaps I'm ignorant, though, of a good handful of good ones on the market cuz I honestly can't really afford to buy a lot of games these days. I overdrafted twice within a month or so recently because, after I bought my new $400 computer (huge upgrade over my previous one), my account balance was barely enough to cover my bills cuz apparently I wasn't getting scheduled the hours I should've or usually do, and I'm frantically trying to save up what little I can with my $300-350 every 2 weeks or so from work. So buying expensive PS3 RPGs is out of the question. I can mainly just afford to rent them on sites like Gamefly...

Is Rune Factory any good?
    Admin-sensei
    Admin-sensei
    Admin
    Admin

I am a :
    • Abridger
    • Voice Actor/Actress

EXP : 31

Post by Admin-sensei Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:16 pm

MovesLikeJagger wrote:I hated shit like Blazblue and Neptunia, as well.

... You DO realize that BlazBlue isn't an RPG... right? It's a fighting game...
    JeremyMakesMahToast
    JeremyMakesMahToast

I am a :
    • Fan
    • Voice Actor/Actress

Post by JeremyMakesMahToast Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:36 pm

lol no one caught that he head "Dearth"
    Neonie
    Neonie

I am a :
    • Fan
    • Voice Actor/Actress

EXP : 18

Post by Neonie Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:44 pm

MovesLikeJagger wrote:

Is Rune Factory any good?

It's not a turn based RPG that's for sure.
    Admin-sensei
    Admin-sensei
    Admin
    Admin

I am a :
    • Abridger
    • Voice Actor/Actress

EXP : 31

Post by Admin-sensei Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:54 pm

JeremyMakesMahToast wrote:lol no one caught that he head "Dearth"

I did, but with how many people make spelling mistakes on this forum I'm kind of ignoring them at this point... Tempting though it may be to correct people...
    JeremyMakesMahToast
    JeremyMakesMahToast

I am a :
    • Fan
    • Voice Actor/Actress

Post by JeremyMakesMahToast Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:05 pm

I thought he did it on purpose to be funny
    Lavaros
    Lavaros

I am a :
    • Abridger
    • Parodyist/other
    • Fan
    • Voice Actor/Actress

EXP : 2

Post by Lavaros Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:02 am

Some one hasn't played Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean the Last Hope, or Valkyria Chronicles~

Then again, Valkyria is more Tactical RPG then anything.
    JeremyMakesMahToast
    JeremyMakesMahToast

I am a :
    • Fan
    • Voice Actor/Actress

Post by JeremyMakesMahToast Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:53 am

Lavaros wrote:Some one hasn't played Eternal Sonata, Star Ocean the Last Hope, or Valkyria Chronicles~

Then again, Valkyria is more Tactical RPG then anything.
    how is star ocean?
    Lavaros
    Lavaros

I am a :
    • Abridger
    • Parodyist/other
    • Fan
    • Voice Actor/Actress

EXP : 2

Post by Lavaros Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:10 am

Star Ocean is pretty rad. I'd recommend sticking to the Japanese Audio though... Not that in English it's particularly bad, it's just that the lip movements don't match up. Ever.
    JeremyMakesMahToast
    JeremyMakesMahToast

I am a :
    • Fan
    • Voice Actor/Actress

Post by JeremyMakesMahToast Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:12 am

Lavaros wrote:Star Ocean is pretty rad. I'd recommend sticking to the Japanese Audio though... Not that in English it's particularly bad, it's just that the lip movements don't match up. Ever.
    I watch alot of Kung fu movies so im used to it

I still haven't beat the first Star Ocean yet so I was just curious
    MovesLikeJagger
    MovesLikeJagger

I am a :
    • Fan

Post by MovesLikeJagger Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:44 pm

Actually, I did mention Star Ocean in a previous thread a few days ago. tongue

I'm not too sure about Valkyria Chronicles. I saw trailers of it, and the whole "war" feel of it, esp. with the battles, kind of turned me off. Then again, I did enjoy Suikoden, so who knows...

Eternal Sonata? I might try that again, now that you mention it. I played it for, like, 5 hours but got bored with it the first time, so maybe I should give it another chance.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 am